Atlanta, GA. January 29, 2013 --
Building on more than 25 years of proven performance in commercial roofing, one of Georgia-Pacific Gypsum’s fiberglass mat cover boards is now better than ever.
Enhanced DensDeck® Prime Roof Boards - featuring the mold resistance, fire resistance, strength and dimensional stability of the industry-leading DensDeck Roof Boards product family - provide broader compatibility and greater performance with roofing adhesives. In adhered, single ply membrane testing, enhanced DensDeck Prime demonstrated an average of 24 percent better bond strength than the original product, when using solvent based adhesives (average based on 60 sq. ft./gal. coverage rates).
With this enhancement, DensDeck Prime allows adhesives to be applied more evenly and uniformly. As a result, the amount of adhesive used and the labor needed to apply it is potentially reduced. The new mats also make the board easier to cut and handle throughout application, and provide a cleaner, more consistent appearance to the finished roof.
In addition, new 1/2” and 5/8” DensDeck Prime are the first and only fiberglass mat gypsum roof boards with a 90-day limited warranty for exposure to normal weather conditions when installed vertically on a parapet wall.
“These enhancements to DensDeck® Prime make installation easier, and help the roof perform better over time,” said Todd Kuykendall, director of product management and sustainability, Georgia-Pacific Gypsum. “These state-of-the-art features showcase our ongoing commitment to improving product performance and customer satisfaction in all Dens® Brand products.”
Following is a summary of the DensDeck Prime key enhancements:
· Industry’s first 90-day limited warranty for exposure to normal weather conditions in parapet wall applications (1/2” and 5/8” only)
· Adhesives can be applied more uniformly and consistently
· Back mat enhancements provide better bond between DensDeck Prime and the insulation layer when low rise adhesives are used
· Face mat now overlaps onto the backside of the board, providing a cleaner joint and overall smoother and uniform appearance when the membrane is laid over the cover board
· Boards are easier to score, cut and handle
· Dust from scoring and cutting is reduced
Advantages for All Roofing Industry Audiences
Enhanced DensDeck Prime offers a number of key advantages for various industry audiences:
· Architects/specifiers/consultantsappreciate the increase in bond strength (when using solvent based adhesives) with the membrane … contributing to a better performing roof.
· Roofing contractorsappreciate that adhesives are applied more smoothly and consistently … resulting in potential cost savings on the amount of adhesive used and the labor needed to apply it.
· Building owners/facility managersappreciate the durability and versatility of enhanced DensDeck Prime … leading to a stronger assembly and long-term performance.
Enhanced DensDeck® Prime and other DensDeck products will be displayed at the Georgia-Pacific Gypsum exhibit in Booth #340 at the 2013 International Roofing Expo® in San Antonio, Tex., Feb. 5 to 7.
About DensDeck® Roof Boards
With billions of square feet installed in a complete range of roofing systems and climate extremes, DensDeck® Roof Boards have proven their toughness and versatility. DensDeck Prime® Roof Boards combine the superior features of DensDeck® Roof Board (fire resistance, strength and dimensional stability) with an enhanced surface treatment. DensDeck Roof Boards are tested, as manufactured, in accordance with ASTM D3273 and have scored a 10, the highest level of performance for mold resistance under the ASTM D3273 method. For more information, please visit www.DensDeck.com or www.gpgypsum.com
Follow Georgia-Pacific Gypsum on Twitter @gpgypsum; YouTube at www.youtube.com/gpdens or on Flickr at www.flickr.com/gpdens.
Headquartered at Atlanta, Georgia-Pacific is one of the world’s leading manufacturers and marketers of building products, tissue, packaging, paper, cellulose and related chemicals. The company employs nearly 35,000 people worldwide. For more information, visit www.gp.com
# # #
Media, please visit www.gp.com/gypsummedia for more information.
Sylvia O’Hagan, Ketchum